Who wins tonight? Oregon Ducks or Stanford Cardinal?
The eyes of the college football world will have to shift literally from coast to coast over the next couple of days, as arguably the most important weekend in college football’s regular season is upon us. It all gets started tonight when Baylor hosts Oklahoma.The Bears are still undefeated and are looking to remain alive in their quest for a national championship, while OU looks to play the spoiler role and help themselves to a BCS game of their own.
After that, the game of the night, possibly the weekend and maybe the season takes place in Palo Alto California. It’s Oregon going up against Stanford. The Cardinal have had the Ducks number as of late, including last season’s triumph in Eugene. The Ducks have revenge on their mind and they’ve been on some kind of roll.
So, who wins? In Waco, I think OU will be able to score some points but ultimately I think the Baylor Bears prevail. In Palo Alto, I think the Cardinal are too much at home. The Ducks seem like the better team to me, but that really is no different from the last few seasons. The Cardinal has a style of play that’s given Oregon problems. I think Stanford gets it done tonight. Then,
There’s a little game going on in Tuscaloosa, Saturday. You may have heard of these teams. LSU travels to T-Town to face Alabama in what has become THE GAME over the last few years. The Tigers have lost twice, so some of the shine is gone, but you’d be foolish to think this game will be anything less than outstanding. Three Enormous games. All with BCS Title implications, on each end of the country. Doesn’t get any better than that.
Now, on to the Week 11 Power Rankings……
1. Alabama Crimson Tide – (This Week: vs LSU). Biggest question in this game is can either defense stop the other team’s offense. Is this really Bama and LSU?
2. Oregon Ducks – (This Week: at Stanford). Is this the year the Ducks finish the deal? Tonight goes a long way toward finding out.
3. Florida State Seminoles – (This Week: at Wake Forest). ‘Noles fans should be pulling hard for Stanford tonight.
4. Ohio State Buckeyes – (This Week: Idle ) Buckeyes have real shot at going undefeated 2 years in a row and not play for a title. Wow!
5. Stanford Cardinal – (This Week: vs Oregon) The Cardinal were my pick to win the PAC-12. Can’t turn my back now.
6. Baylor Bears – (This Week: vs. Oklahoma) This has to be Baylor’s biggest game ever. Win tonight and they may have a few more biggest game ever’s this season.
7. Auburn Tigers – (This Week: at Tennessee). The Tigers will prove a lot by just handling their business in Knoxville, with Georgia and Bama on the horizon.
8. Missouri Tigers – (This Week: at Kentucky) Mizzou handled their business last week, must do the same this week against a much inferior opponent.
9. Clemson Tigers – (This Week: Idle) Things are a lot quieter in Clemson lately. Get pounded by FSU has a way of doing that.
10. Oklahoma Sooners- (This Week: at Baylor). Sooners have to be still scratching their heads at their performance against Texas. I know I am.
11. South Carolina Gamecocks – (This Week: Idle) Who knows what South Carolina team shows up any given quarter, let alone a game anymore.
12. LSU Tigers – (This Week: at Alabama) The Bayou Bengals are always capable of going to T-Town and getting a victory. No matter what’s at stake.
13. Miami Hurricanes – (This Week: vs Virginia Tech) The Hokies back to back losses made this one look less scary for the ‘Canes….Until Duke Johnson went down to injury, that is.
14. Oklahoma St. Cowboys – (This Week: vs Kansas) The Cowboys are another team that has a chance to play spoiler, while helping themselves at the same time. Jayhawks should be easy leading up to Texas next week.
15. Michigan State Spartans – (This Week: Idle) Sparty has off week before next weeks visit to Lincoln. Spartans D is all that! Could they end the Buckeyes streak in Big Ten title game?
16. Texas A&M Aggies – If you don’t think Johnny Manziel is having a Heisman worthy season, you’re not watching the same game I am. He can’t play defense also.
Just missed the cut: UCLA, Central Florida, Northern Illinois, Arizona St., Fresno St.
- Marcus Mariota, No. 3 Oregon Ducks Face Pac-12 Rival No. 5 Stanford Cardinal in Battle for BCS Contention (nesn.com)
- Stanford to retire John Elway’s number during Oregon game (denverpost.com)
- No. 6 Stanford searching for ways to stop Mariota (bigstory.ap.org)
- Oregon’s defense wary of physical Stanford (bigstory.ap.org)