BYU Freshman QB, Tanner Mangum had already defied the odds once with his Hail Mary pass to senior wide receiver, Mitch Mathews to beat Nebraska. Despite Mathews’ size (6′-6″ 215), the odds of another Hail Mary being successful had to be gigantic. Well, how gigantic were the odds of anything remotely similar happening again? The very next week? But, that’s what happened. This time there was a different target in junior, Mitchell Juergens, and this time there was still time left on the clock. However, the results are the same. The come from behind win makes the Cougars 2-0 for the season, and the highlight of this week’s Sports & Swag College Football Power Rankings – Week 3.
In other action, the SEC had a terrible weekend. Pass happy Arkansas losing to Toledo, interception machine Jeremy Johnson and Auburn taking a fall after surviving Jacksonville State’s epic upset bid, and Tennessee blowing a 17-point lead at home to Oklahoma were music to the ears of SEC haters everywhere. Now, on to this week’s rankings…
1. (1) OHIO STATE – (Next: vs Northern Illinois) Buckeyes on still cruise control until November.
2. (2) TCU – (Next: vs SMU) With battle of the Metro-plex coming up the Frogs stay here for now.
3. (3) ALABAMA – (Next: vs 14 Ole Miss) We’ll find out more about Jake Coker and the Tide against the Rebels.
4. (6) MICHIGAN STATE – (Next: vs Air Force) Tricky game for Sparty after huge win over the Ducks.
5. (5) USC – (Next: vs Stanford) Trojans MAY get first test of season from Cardinal this week.
6. (7) BAYLOR – (Next: Off) Bears another team we won’t know much about for a while.
7. (8) NOTRE DAME – (Next: vs Georgia Tech) Irish have tough road ahead with 5 players out for season.
8. (10) GEORGIA – (Next: vs South Carolina) Dawgs looked OK at Vandy. Spurrier up next.
9. (12) UCLA – (Next: vs 19 BYU) Bruins look like the Real Deal, but can they survive Mangum Magic?
10. (9) OREGON – (Next: vs Georgia Southern) No shame in Ducks losing in East Lansing.
11. (11) FLORIDA STATE – (Next at Boston College) Only top 10 team on road this week. Upset alert at tricky BC?
12. (13) LSU – (Next: vs 18 Auburn) Tigers nearly blew great start vs Miss. State due to conservative 2nd half gameplan.
13. (15) OKLAHOMA – (Next: vs Tulsa) Great comeback at Tennessee, now Sooners can’t letdown against Tulsa.
14. (16) OLE MISS – (Next: at 3 Alabama) Can the Rebels be second team to beat Saban back to back seasons at Bama?
15. (17) CLEMSON – (Next: at Louisville) Dabo’s Tigers can’t sleep on tricky trip to Louisville on Thursday.
16. (18) TEXAS A&M – (Next: vs Nevada) Aggies should have no problems with Nevada.
17. (19) GEORGIA TECH – (Next: at 7 Notre Dame) The Wreck moves from laying in the weeds to South Bend this week.
18. (6) AUBURN – (Next: at 12 LSU) Sneaky feeling Auburn shows up in Death Valley sunlight and comes out with win.
19. (UR) BYU – (Next: at 9 UCLA) Talented, Bruins may prove too much for Cougars.
20. (22) UTAH – (Next: at Fresno State) Dangerous Utes get Oregon at Autzen next week.
21. (23) OKLAHOMA STATE
22. (UR) ARIZONA
23. (24) MISSOURI
24. (UR) NORTHWESTERN
25. (25) WISCONSIN
Saying Hello: BYU, Arizona, Northwestern
Saying Goodbye: Tennessee, Boise State, Arkansas
Got my eye on: Stanford, California, Iowa, Pittsburgh, Kentucky